This concise introduction to the fundamentals of biological treatment of wastewater describes how to model and integrate biological steps into industrial processes.
The book first covers the chemical, physical and biological basics, including wastewater characteristics, microbial metabolism, determining stoichiometric equations for catabolism and anabolism, measurements of mass transfer and respiration rates and the aerobic treatment of wastewater loaded with dissolved organics. It the moves on to deal with such applications and technologies as nitrogen and phosphorus removal, membrane technology, the assessment and selection of aeration systems, simple models for biofilm reactors and the modeling of activated sludge processes. A final section looks at the processing of water and the treatment of wastewater integrated into the production process.
Essential reading for chemists, engineers, microbiologists, environmental officers, agencies and consultants, in both academia and industry.
“…a straightforward, well-written and technically sound discussion of wastewater treatment.” (Journal of Hazardous Materials, July 19, 2007)
From the Back Cover
Industrial processes, in particular in chemical and pharmaceutical production, almost always result in waste or side products that require further treatment. Both environmentally benign and least-cost processes are needed, while also allowing the best possible recycling of material. Apart from chemical and mechanical treatment, microbe-based biological methods have become a prime choice for efficient and sustainable wastewater processing.
This concise introduction to the fundamentals of biological treatment of wastewater describes how to model and integrate biological steps into industrial processes. It first covers the chemical, physical and biological basics before taking the reader on to applications, technologies, equipment and process specifics, with modeling methods a prominent feature throughout the text.
From the contents:
* Wastewater Characteristics
* Microbial Metabolism
* Determination of Stoichiometric Equations for Catabolism and Anabolism
* Measurements of Mass Transfer and Respiration Rates
* Aerobic Treatment of Wastewater Loaded with Dissolved Organics
* Nitrogen Removal
* Biological Phosphorus Removal
* Biological Wastewater Treatment with Nitrogen and Phosphorus Removal
* Anaerobic Treatment of Wastewater Loaded with Dissolved Organics
* Membrane Technology in Biological Wastewater Treatment
* Assessment and Selection of Aeration Systems
* Simple Models for Biofilm Reactors
* Modeling Activated Sludge Processes
* Processing of Water, Recovering of Materials and Treatment of Wastewater Integrated into the Production Process